Nightfire MDL format documentation

General topics about the original PC game.
Forum rules
SYSTEM: Welcome to the James Bond 007: Nightfire (PC) forum!
This is a special section on the Nightfire Source forum to discuss anything related to the classic PC game. Nightfire Source will be the future of Nightfire (PC). In case you had a Community ID please enjoy your new stay here!

Do not use this forum for support related topics, but head to (PC) Support.

tschumann
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Re: Nightfire MDL format documentation

Post by tschumann » 8 months ago

So I was digging through the Crowbar decompiler source code - it seems to support v14 .mdl files and I think Nightfire is the only game that uses that version.

Topic author
x6herbius
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Post by x6herbius » 8 months ago

That's interesting! Might be worth a look.

click4dylan
_
_

Post by click4dylan » 7 months ago

Ask onlynoob@hotmail.com, he has the most up-to-date documentation on the format. All the old documentation has major problems with some models and conversion with missing bones and rotation

COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Post by 005 » 5 months ago

click4dylan wrote:
1 year ago
Nightfire bsp format is fully documented and a near-perfect decompiler is available at https://github.com/wfowler1/jbn-bsp-lump-tools
The decompiler in that project is old and needs to die in a fire. My current version is available at https://github.com/wfowler1/bsp-decompiler and it's a project I've been meaning to get back to for a while now. Life has gotten in the way, jobs, random game development, Overwatch, that sort of nonsense.

Well actually, the decompiler in the old project is functional. Mostly I'm just ashamed of how badly written the code is. The newer one has a more generalized algorithm that works with many other games as well as Nightfire, and is much, much more cleanly written. But there's always improvements I could make.