Nightfire Source Without Steam?

General talk about the Nightfire: Source mod.

Topic author
007 Nightfire
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Nightfire Source Without Steam?

Post by 007 Nightfire » 2 years ago

Is there any way to get this remake without steam, or is that what you guys are basing all of your programming on? Maybe later you could release a non-steam version, if this is not possible. Thanks! ;)

MaxPower1716
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Re: Nightfire Source Without Steam?

Post by MaxPower1716 » 2 years ago

I personally think that steam would be the best way to release the full game. You would have to get it through green light though.
"There's always a new challenge to keep you motivated." Sean Connery

Topic author
007 Nightfire
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Yeah, but I don't use steam so I was wondering If you guys can release it without steam.

Pixieee

Post by Pixieee » 2 years ago

No we can not. You also have to download the Source SDK which belongs to Steam and all the functions that come with Steam.

Also Steam Green Light is not an easy thing like, oh hey I'll just put it there and I'm done. It contains a lot of legal stuff and also there are fees to use the GL tool.

You have to play through Steam but you cannot download it from Steam. You have to download the game and its updates from our server.

Topic author
007 Nightfire
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

*sigh* oh well, I guess I won't be able to play it then. Good work anyway, maybe sometime in the future someone can make a remake that doesn't require steam. :'(

Pixieee

Steam and Source SDK are required to play any Source Engine mod. Also in the future.

What is your problem with downloading Steam? It's just for free and is a great platform.

click4dylan
_
_

Post by click4dylan » 2 years ago

Exactly. All source engine games require Steam. If we were to make it non-steam, you'd have to give us $50,000 or more to get a license from Valve to make a standalone game using the Source Engine. Steam is free and millions of PC gamers use it every day.

Topic author
007 Nightfire
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

I don't use steam because I don't have internet at my house. Because steam always has to update and screw everything up, it can't be offline for more than two days before it asks me to login again. It really annoying. The only time I have internet is if I go to a free wifi network like at the library or inside a restaurant that has internet. Why can't steam just login once and use that offline forever, then my problems would be solved. :(

Pixieee

Ah I see. Well for Nightfire: Source an Internet connection is needed aswell to play online, unless you play alone (or maybe with bots in the future).

As far as I know, there's a button to "log-in" with an offline modus for Steam. This way you can get to your games without having an Internet connection.

Topic author
007 Nightfire
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Yeah I know but the offline modulus doesn't work very long until it asks you to login online. I think they do this to make sue that it is really you using the account, which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It should be that you login once and then maybe a year later it asks you to login. It would be cool if you guys could get bots into the game, but right now i am playing the GameCube version of 007 nightfire on a Dolphin emulator. It's in full HD and running at 60 FPS! The GameCube version is cool because it allows for 6 bots in multiplayer instead of just four. :]