Can't Run Nightfire on Windows 10

Support topics about the original PC game.
Forum rules
Note: This section may be used for the original Nightfire PC game (2002 release) related support. Do not post your Nightfire: Source related issues here. However we do our utmost helping you out, we do not offer official Nightfire PC support.

Topic author
AgentUnderFire
COMMUNITY NEWB

Can't Run Nightfire on Windows 10

Post by AgentUnderFire » 1 year ago

Hello everyone!

After trying my best fooling around with compatibility setting and administrative privileges I can't get Nightfire to run on my Windows 10 PC. I installed Nightfire from a copy I purchased off of Amazon, and it seems to have successfully installed, but it will not run at all. I haven't installed any patches from anywhere since it seems the only patch I can find is for the multiplayer which is not my concern. What should I do?

Rise2Shine
_
_

Re: Can't Run Nightfire on Windows 10

Post by Rise2Shine » 1 year ago

The patches from nightfirepc.com do not only impact multiplayer. I'd still recommend to download it from there and update your game to the latest version.

Then run your game as administrator and may you try several compatibility settings to fit your needs.
[eXs]Rise2Shine A.k.a. True
Nightfire: Source - Web | Community | Social | Former Level Designer

Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me.

Topic author
AgentUnderFire
COMMUNITY NEWB

Thank you for responding. I attempted to install patch 5.91, but the installer asks me to launch the game so it knows where to install the patch, which I can't do since the game won't run. What do I do?

CBMI6
_
_

Post by CBMI6 » 1 year ago

Hi,

I had a similar problem but I'm still on Windows 7, I had to copy and paste the contents of the "Data" folder into my "Nightfire" directory and then it worked fine. Maybe try that and I hope you get it working :)
"Coffee...the finest organic suspension ever devised" - Kathryn Janeway. Or in Nightfire's case, in a polystyrene cup with a straw!

click4dylan
_
_

Post by click4dylan » 1 year ago

Simply attempting to launch the game should get it to detect the folder, but you can also do what the above poster said and copy the contents of the Data folder to the game folder. Windows 10 does not allow you to run Safedisc/securom protected games, and Nightfire is one of them.

Topic author
AgentUnderFire
COMMUNITY NEWB

Thanks everyone for all the advice, but I still can't get it working. I tried attempting to launch the game, and that didn't work, and then I tried copying and pasting the files into the Nightfire directory, and that didn't work. If I downloaded a copy of the entire game from nightfirepc.com, rather than installing from the disc I bought, will that work? I'm also concerned about the legality of that. I'm getting close to just setting up a VirtualBox running XP.

Rise2Shine
_
_

Post by Rise2Shine » 1 year ago

I downloaded the game years ago, because disks never worked for me after XP. The download still works fine and I update all times. Works fine on Windows 10 for me. My Bond2.exe has as compatibility the Windows XP (Service Pack 3) one.
[eXs]Rise2Shine A.k.a. True
Nightfire: Source - Web | Community | Social | Former Level Designer

Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me.

Topic author
AgentUnderFire
COMMUNITY NEWB

Thanks everyone for all the help! I'll try running it in XP in VirtualBox, but if that isn't satisfactory, I know what my options are. Thanks!

Moved from (PC) General to (PC) Support on 1 year ago by Rise2Shine