engines used by console versions

Topics about the original game.

Topic author
tschumann
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

engines used by console versions

Post by tschumann » 1 year ago

Anyone know what engines were used by the various console versions of Nightfire? I've seen id Tech 3 mentioned for one of them but I'm not sure if both the PlayStation 2 and Xbox used it or not.
Also, I'm assuming the PC version was the only version that used the GoldSource engine?

Kenny.tw
_
_

Re: engines used by console versions

Post by Kenny.tw » 1 year ago

Nightfire for PC is created by Gearbox. They used a modified GoldSrc engine. Eurocom created the games for the console. They used, from what I know, a modified QuakeIII (id Tech 3) engine.
Knowing that the GoldSrc engine is a modified version of the Quake engine, it all comes around.

Porting a game to a console or MacOS / Linux was back then an absolute pain, most engines did not had build-in tools to do this. I don't know how advanced QuakeIII was in this back in 2000. But it was normal for games that console version got released years later then the PC version.
(Nightfire used different studios for PC / console, that is why console got released earlier then PC)

Things get shady with Gamecube. Eurocom did create the Gamecube version. Compare the Gamecube version with the Xbox / PS2 version and they look the same. Yet I can not say if they were all build on the same engine. If they managed to modify the engine to port it for GameCube, that must have been a pain.

Topic author
tschumann
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Post by tschumann » 1 year ago

Okay thanks - and speaking of porting to Mac, was the original Mac version GoldSource too, or did Aspyr use something else?

Kenny.tw
_
_

Post by Kenny.tw » 1 year ago

Don't see a reason why they would use a different engine. It is a direct port from Gearbox PC version.

click4dylan
_
_

Post by click4dylan » 9 months ago

Console used the quake 3 engine for the FPS, and the need for speed underground engine for driving missions. PC used a very early Source Engine / GoldSrc hybrid with a custom d3d8 renderer. It's essentially GoldSrc with a new renderer, and sparing features that were incorporated into the source engine such as lightmap scaling. Model formats were more similar to Source than Goldsrc, while the BSP format was completely different from both source and goldsrc, completely eliminating the idea of windings

Topic author
tschumann
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Post by tschumann » 7 months ago

I managed to get a hold of the Mac version and it looks like it's a port of the PC version. Just need to find a Mac PowerPC disassembler now...

Rise2Shine
_
_

Post by Rise2Shine » 7 months ago

Aspyr ported the game to Mac in 2004 indeed :)
[eXs]Rise2Shine A.k.a. True
Nightfire: Source - Web | Community | Social | Former Level Designer

Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me.

Topic author
tschumann
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Post by tschumann » 7 months ago

click4dylan wrote:
9 months ago
Console used the quake 3 engine for the FPS, and the need for speed underground engine for driving missions. PC used a very early Source Engine / GoldSrc hybrid with a custom d3d8 renderer. It's essentially GoldSrc with a new renderer, and sparing features that were incorporated into the source engine such as lightmap scaling. Model formats were more similar to Source than Goldsrc, while the BSP format was completely different from both source and goldsrc, completely eliminating the idea of windings
Is the .bsp format similar to the Half-Life PlayStation 2 .bs2 format? Possibly Gearbox reused some of their engine improvements from Half-Life in Nightfire.
True wrote:
7 months ago
Aspyr ported the game to Mac in 2004 indeed :)
Yes, and it looks like a proper port of the Nightfire engine too. Having trouble finding a decent disassembler though which is annoying.

Kenny.tw
_
_

Post by Kenny.tw » 7 months ago

bsp /=/ bs2. But yes they are related since they are both compiled .rmf files from the Gearcraft editor.