Ripping models from the console versions

Topics about the original game.

Topic author
Prince Gumball
COMMUNITY NEWB

Ripping models from the console versions

Post by Prince Gumball » 7 months ago

Has anyone been able to rip character and weapon models from the console versions? If so, I think it'll be fun if someone would rip the weapon models and the viewmodels from the console version and it can be pretty fun to port them to the mod or make them Garry's Mod SWEPS.

tschumann
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Re: Ripping models from the console versions

Post by tschumann » 7 months ago

Are the models that different to the PC version? Genuinely curious.

Kenny.tw
_
_

Post by Kenny.tw » 7 months ago

You can download the Nightfire console version. Meaning you can probably unpack the archive and view / convert the models. Even if it is not possible to unpack you can run an emulator and use a ripper to get a 3D scene. Altough I would not recommend using a ripper. The scene will be a complete mess and cleaning up will take more time than it is worth.
Console version models have even a lower polygon count and probably lower texture resolution than the PC NF version. Directly porting this to Source engine will only look like shite.

So would you put all this effort for low poly models? :sarcastic: The better question would be if it is worth it ;)

Xtreemo
COMMUNITY NEWB

Post by Xtreemo » 7 months ago

Kenny.tw wrote:
7 months ago
You can download the Nightfire console version. Meaning you can probably unpack the archive and view / convert the models. Even if it is not possible to unpack you can run an emulator and use a ripper to get a 3D scene. Altough I would not recommend using a ripper. The scene will be a complete mess and cleaning up will take more time than it is worth.
Console version models have even a lower polygon count and probably lower texture resolution than the PC NF version. Directly porting this to Source engine will only look like shite.

So would you put all this effort for low poly models? :sarcastic: The better question would be if it is worth it ;)
IMHO the PS2/Xbox weapons do look so much better than the PC ones. I love the console graphics as well.