Capture the Flag

Find the latest news and announcements from the mod team.

Topic author
click4dylan
_
_

Capture the Flag

Post by click4dylan » 4 years ago

For now, the most difficult part is done. Scores are done as well but we're currently not displaying them to the user. There's two minor bugs at the moment: the flags being the same, which is a problem with the current flag model being equal for each flag, but we'll solve that in the near future (Before Beta) by creating an independent model for each object and there's also a problem with the actual flag which stays attached to the player after capturing the flag, but we'll solve that soon.

Ricecooker
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Re: Capture the Flag

Post by Ricecooker » 4 years ago

i hope that being able to see the flag on the left when you pick it up is also a bug ;x?

other than that lookin good

Topic author
click4dylan
_
_

not a bug, just there is no code to hide it yet. i think it actually looks cool that way, we might keep it except change the angles to make it more in front of you so it doesnt obstruct your view as much

Ricecooker
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

at least make an option/command to hide it completely -.-

Topic author
click4dylan
_
_

now that would be unfair for those who don't have it turned off. you have to remember this is not just a replica. we want to bring new things to the table. half the time players in the original NF forget they even have the flag

Ricecooker
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

being able to see the flag when you have it adds nothing to the game at all, its just annoying. you have to think of scrim players when youre making this too, not just the noobs who forget they have the flag ;s

UltimateSniper
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Post by UltimateSniper » 4 years ago

As I said on the facebook page, let's keep the default HUD the same as the original game? After all, that's what this is about - replicating Nightfire. You just have to shift the flag back by a few tens-of-inches to be behind the camera.

You could possibly add a command to change the relative location of the flag when you pick it up, but then does it also change where other people see it on you?
I may have the answer to your question, but will you ever know the answer if you don't ask?
(Online Nightfire Server List)
See some of my work on the Valve Developer Wiki

Ignacio
_
_

Post by Ignacio » 4 years ago

UltimateSniper wrote:As I said on the facebook page, let's keep the default HUD the same as the original game? After all, that's what this is about - replicating Nightfire. You just have to shift the flag back by a few tens-of-inches to be behind the camera.

You could possibly add a command to change the relative location of the flag when you pick it up, but then does it also change where other people see it on you?
The flag gets attached to the player once you pick it up. I don't think it will be very efficient to get the player's vector over and over and just set the flag vector recursively. I'm trying to optimize this (CPU wise) to the best of my abilities so we don't end up with a major load of useless code right after. My main priority for now is to get it done as soon as I can and start listing flaws, I'll later on review those flaws and fix them. I fixed a bunch of them already but there's still things that could be improved.
Nightfire: Source - Discord

UltimateSniper
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Post by UltimateSniper » 4 years ago

Well, if you say you attach it to the player's position, why would the player's position + an offset be so hard?
I may have the answer to your question, but will you ever know the answer if you don't ask?
(Online Nightfire Server List)
See some of my work on the Valve Developer Wiki