Progress on Grapple & Pjump

Find the latest news and announcements from the mod team.

What do you think of the current PJUMP limit imposed in Nightfire: Source

The player is still able to pjump too fast
14%
The player is not able to pjump fast enough
No votes
The limit is perfect, the player pjumps neither too fast nor too slow
57%
The limit needs to be turned off by default
No votes
The limit needs to be removed entirely
29%

Total votes: 7

beverlyhill1
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Re: Progress on Grapple & Pjump

Post by beverlyhill1 » 5 years ago

the problem is that pjump is a special ability. so it isnt a real cheat, but its a plus for people who know how to do it. people who cant pjump have a disadvantage in game. so it is automatically unfair in a game with people who know it and people who dont know it. its only fair in a scrim/game where all know it.

now the pjumpers can say: "well everyone can learn pjump". i think
1. no, cause some people really have laggy connections and cant realize it. lagg is of course a problem when its an only skill game too, but not so much like in this way. pressing a mouse klick to shoot is still to handle with lagg, pjump not.
2. its a problem when some people play longer and some only since a short time. pjump is a learning process and so the people who learned it long time ago have stilll an advantage. so its hostile against every new player (so called "noob").
3. pjump with/without grapple is a second difference. the more differences, the more advantages/disadvantages ---> with pjump you CAN NOT make this game a FAIR game!

on the other side kenny is right, its a special that makes the game more fun for the people who know it. but: ONLY for them! so nathie and sjaak had important thoughts about the new game. i will convert these thoughts into a question: you guys (the developers) want to make this game a(n almost) fair egoSHOOTER or an egoshooter-and-runner, where the running is a hard learning and imposition for new players?

i dont know if it will work when pjump is off-turnable. the question before that has to be "who will host?" you will create two different worlds with different pjump yes/no servers. thats working against a "big one community".

Nathie
COMMUNITY NEWB

Post by Nathie » 5 years ago

pjump is a skill for chickens that like to run away...

Rise2Shine
_
_

Post by Rise2Shine » 5 years ago

I am not going to give arguements that have been said before. This is a Nightfire remake, and not a random new game. For that reason pjump will be added, but WITH a command to turn it off. There could be pjump and non-pjump servers. And there's way more than just 10 % that likes pjump. I still see old players coming back sometimes just for the pjump because it's special. This is a Nightfire Remake / Fix and not a new game with just Nightfire textures.

About hosting, that's not really fair what you said. There's been professional hosted servers (also by me for years / XS clan). We are doing our best making it a success and hosting is a part of the process.
[eXs]Rise2Shine A.k.a. True
Nightfire: Source - Web | Community | Social | Former Level Designer

Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me.

klooty
COMMUNITY NEWB

Post by klooty » 5 years ago

Pjump is the thing what makes this game extrodinary. And there are popular games with jumping in it, for example quakelive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfpaEAh3geM . It's a beautifull skill which should not be removed.

Shin
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Post by Shin » 5 years ago

Nathie wrote:pjump is a skill for chickens that like to run away...
You are angry and arguing hard about it because you simply cant do it, and i want it because i can do it, so stop this, dont cry about being a chicken running away, and if you can aim good you can simply kill pjumpers, pj for attack and aim for defffend
beverlyhill1 wrote: now the pjumpers can say: "well everyone can learn pjump". i think
1. no, cause some people really have laggy connections and cant realize it. lagg is of course a problem when its an only skill game too, but not so more like in this way. pressing a mouse klick to shoot is still to handle with lagg, pjump no.
Alright thats wrong me as an egyptian i have 100+ ping because egypt net fails even i almost pay for the most expensive net some other egyptians like aly(saki) he can pjump with 60 fps and he is always having 120+ ping and me myself i got many times 250+ ping before and 100 fps and i can pjump its not about fps and ping its about just ability to do it.

Le Flic
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Post by Le Flic » 5 years ago

Hi,

obviously there are always two sides with different point of views.

That's cool, otherwise there wouldn't be discussions and without discussions there are no changes.

I read an article in the http://www.jbnightfire.com forum where the main developer of the new NIghtfire Sauce mod wrote:

" i found a function in some team fortress code that is used to prevent players from bunny hopping past a certain speed. and nightfire has the operations

reversed by accident. the function in nf is doing maxscaledspeed / currentplayerspeed and team fortress does currentplayerspeed / maxscaledspeed

so pjumping in nightfire was simply a giant accident on the behalf of someone who was writing code to actually PREVENT PJUMP! "

You can find the entire message @:

http://www.jbnightfire.com/forums/topic ... ce/page/3/

=> first post (edited five times)

When i read this i thought like WOW, cool that i was right with my assumption.

But it still seems to be an endless discussion, even if the reverse engeneer offishially announced it.

Happy to see that some old players newregistered in here in order to share their thoughts with the "rest" of the community.

Btw.: Who is interested in sharing cooking receipts with me? I am i need of a receipt for a nutcake without flavor enhancer and no preservatives,,, only natural ingreedients should be involved. I want my new cake to not have cheats inside in order to make it tasty :P. Any idea?

Le Flic

Nathie
COMMUNITY NEWB

First i dont understand why you're instantly talking aggressively. im not crying about this. No no im not your age shin ;)
And i never tried to pjump simply because im not intersted in it. And here by saying that u wanna keep this pjump just cuz u can do it, means you're a selfish fuck and not caring about the will of others. Then i dont understand how u guys will be able to get other people (when i mean other people doesn't mean ur community of 20 people) but the others completly new). And im sorry shin if you're talking like this you know damn well my skill were way better than yours in that time i was rly playing. Have your own opinion and don't try to copy paste others just to be intersting or to have "friends". Just remember you're one of those new players than came way after everyone. so dont try to be important. You're considered " new" here.
And the first rule to make something attracting for others is care about what they want. THEY are kings. NOT you, not the people making this mod.

Shin
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Post by Shin » 5 years ago

Nathie wrote:First i dont understand why you're instantly talking aggressively. im not crying about this. No no im not your age shin ;)
And i never tried to pjump simply because im not intersted in it. And here by saying that u wanna keep this pjump just cuz u can do it, means you're a selfish fuck and not caring about the will of others. Then i dont understand how u guys will be able to get other people (when i mean other people doesn't mean ur community of 20 people) but the others completly new). And im sorry shin if you're talking like this you know damn well my skill were way better than yours in that time i was rly playing. Have your own opinion and don't try to copy paste others just to be intersting or to have "friends". Just remember you're one of those new players than came way after everyone. so dont try to be important. You're considered " new" here.
And the first rule to make something attracting for others is care about what they want. THEY are kings. NOT you, not the people making this mod.
First point : then you are selfish too when you want to completly disable pjump and I'm 15, you are older than me with like10 years i know that well so i dont think i am not that kid to cry
W
Second point : about skills i didnt ever say i am better, right you were better than me but what's the point? Now i can pj and i can aim so what?
I dont copy or paste others opinion to be attractive or interesting, i am already supporting koen, kenny since i knew them and i participated in kenny easter event i took part in jbnightfire.com as a community manager (moderator)
I dont want to be king or whatever, and i am saying it again i dont copy others opinion i have my own opinion and btw every one of the MOD team here knows me, and knows who is me.

My last point: read the forum rules no abusing, no insults and if i am not that important, dont tell me that in my face and i am sure i am already important
Edit : i can let everybody here tell you I am not new and i am important, you are sadly the new here

Nathie
COMMUNITY NEWB

U know being a moderator or whatever u wanna call urself doesn't mean you're not new. By "new" i meant playing this super late compare to others... Just don't be blind about what we were talking about... But i think you dont understand and will never cuz u were never there when thousands of people left cuz of that pjump "discover". If you could see it u would realize that it killed the game. But you're trying to defend something you dont know about. You're just listening to what people says around you thats all. You know when u played nf for the first time, it was already considered dead. 30 players maxi were playing this. Compared to like 100 servers full of 30 people hosted by EA games before Pjump.
It Was a nice idea to try to put a limit on the pjump but i think it wont help in getting more people than u guys.. Anyway gl with this project.
And shin idc if you're moderator or anything , u should just respect people s will, and not instantly consider them "crying" when they don't agree with you. First thing of a mature guy is accept critisim and be open minded.. Remember you're 15, so respect people pls and you wont get any insults in return ...

Ricecooker
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Post by Ricecooker » 5 years ago

must... resist... posting

fail

ugh. this "debate" was getting old in 2005, now its a joke

the fact that a lot of people were playing this game in its 1st 2 years has 0 relevance to pjump. it was a new game, ofc people are going to play it. if pjump was gone would nf gain more players? hell no. its 10 years old. in fact, pjump has actually helped in keeping the competitive community alive. nfbl would not have lasted as long as it did if there was no pjump. there would be no scrims today if there was no pjump. i would not be writing this if there was no pjump. the nf source project project would not be happening if there was no pjump. to those who are against it, ask yourselves this question: what significant feature does nf have that virtually all other fps games dont have? try to think of something other than pjump. pretty hard, eh?

so, because it is unique and fun, pjump is actually a selling feature for the original game as well as this mod, not something that will hold it back. embrace it, dont waste your time fighting it. if you dont like it then this isnt the game/mod for you. but i can assure you its quite fun once you get the hang of it. because pjump is not commonly found in fps games, new/uneducated players may see it as a cheat. luckily, ive made a tutorial video to teach those players how to master pjump. it will also work for players who play this mod as it will be the exact same movements etc needed to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwY3EqZ ... e=youtu.be hope it helps, if anyone has any questions let me know. glhf

offtopic @ blobski: nightfire sauce LOL. thanks that made my night ;x. i dont have any recipes but im looking forward to seeing your next cake once you get one