Source 2

Topics with other content than listed above.

Topic author
MaxPower1716
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Source 2

Post by MaxPower1716 » 2 years ago

What will be better besides the graphics and the ability to be 64 bit? I don't really know much about it.
"There's always a new challenge to keep you motivated." Sean Connery

Rise2Shine
_
_

Re: Source 2

Post by Rise2Shine » 2 years ago

No clue. All I know is that it looks awesome!

Also I hope it will bring some new titles like HL3/L4D3
[eXs]Rise2Shine A.k.a. True
Nightfire: Source - Web | Community | Social | Former Level Designer

Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me.

Topic author
MaxPower1716
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Ya I hope it brings half life 3 with it. God knows how long we have waited for that.

Maxaxle
COMMUNITY ROOKIE

Post by Maxaxle » 2 years ago

Whatever it is, it will be good. And it will have full Linux and Mac support.

Kenny.tw
_
_

Post by Kenny.tw » 2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWq0uafAgzg

It is basically like any nowaday game engines. It replaced the old hammer brushes with a level editor, models and materials. New fancy particles. Hopefully better texture support. It has his advantages but might also lose some "oldschool charm"

Topic author
MaxPower1716
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

I hope that the feel stays pretty close on games such as cs go.

click4dylan
_
_

Post by click4dylan » 2 years ago

I hope they fix the massive input lag that valve has tacked on and increased with every revision of the source engine. The last source engine that had little to zero input lag was episode 1 in 2006. Comparing CSS v34 to CSS today, v34 is so much better in terms of responsiveness. And CSS today vs CSGO? CSGO is even worse than CSS.

Also, one of the biggest problems with source engine is the more you put on screen (graphics, eyecandy), the slower the response of the game regardless of the frame rate. If you make a blank box map and compare the responsiveness to a map like de_dust2 or cs_office, even at the same frame rates the blank box map will feel better.

Kenny.tw
_
_

Post by Kenny.tw » 2 years ago

click4dylan wrote: Also, one of the biggest problems with source engine is the more you put on screen (graphics, eyecandy), the slower the response of the game regardless of the frame rate. If you make a blank box map and compare the responsiveness to a map like de_dust2 or cs_office, even at the same frame rates the blank box map will feel better.
I noticed that also.. It isn't even that hard to hit the out of range error for to high poly models.
Both the SDK and games aren't build for current quality models.

On the Source Engine wiki is stated. "10.000 polygons is kind of an informal maximum for the Source engine" which is a huge joke for 2015. It was already a joke for games in 2007. From the game Ryse Son of Rome I heard that the armor of the main character already had 85.000 polygons in the final build. Add another 500.000 other polygons for all the other characters and props they used in the level.

I heard that Source 2 will bring more material, shaders, tiling and model support. I really hope they don't forget to make it a better support for models too.

edit: not only models cause performance issues.. add some cubemaps, lights, high res textures etc.. and compare it without these graphic improvements. Good looking graphics and Source Engine haha.. The problem is.. Code language doesn't really change, graphics change fast. Valve and fast, they don't go together.