[IMPLEMENTED]Netcode, 128 tickrates

Leave your suggestions and found bugs in this section.

Topic author
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

[IMPLEMENTED]Netcode, 128 tickrates

Post by 007 » 3 years ago

Are players going to have to lead there shots to make kills, like the original NF?

I know in a previous post an admin stated it would be server side, i hope server side and perfect compensation.

What will the tick rate be set at in the NF:S servers. like 128? I can feel if i am playing on a 64 tick or 128 tick with out opening net graph. What can you tell us about this?

a little game play at 128 https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... fn76ImctRY :ugeek:
It's a Brave new World.

click4dylan
_
_

Re: Netcode, 128 tickrates

Post by click4dylan » 3 years ago

It's been defaulted to 100. I don't know who came up with the 128 number, but 128 makes no sense. Why would you update clients every 7.8125 ms? You're never going to get that much precision, 100 makes much more sense is an easier number to round, exactly 10ms. This is why all original source games ran at 33, 66, 100 (30ms, 15ms, 10ms).

You can set the tickrate to any number you want, but keep in mind it was the CSGO developers (who aren't a part of valve) who set CSGO's tickrate to 64 (15.625ms) and 128 (7.8125ms).

Nightfire Source has lag compensation which means you should aim at the player, not in front. (but it's broken right now at this stage). Players can still turn off the lag compensation if they wish.

They likely set csgo to 64 by default because any higher than that requires a kernel timer frequency change which would have to be done on all the matchmaking servers. This can be a big pain in linux, and on windows requires running a process in addition to the server.

Topic author
COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVE

Post by 007 » 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply.
It's a Brave new World.

click4dylan
_
_

Post by click4dylan » 2 years ago

We recently changed this back in (january?). We found out that certain game functions behave better at 64, 102.4, 128 tickrates and so by default our game runs exactly the way CSGO functions. The default tickrate in Nightfire Source is now 102.4, and dedicated servers can run up to 512 tickrate if they wish. Listen servers run at 102.4 tickrate by default but unless the client disables VAC by using -insecure, updaterates will be capped at 100 tick. This is because of the way we bypass the limits of the source engine, we want to be extra sure we don't do anything that could trigger VAC bans on players. Valve really needs to remove the 100 limit on cl_updaterate by default.

You can disable the forced tickrate adjuster by using -tickrateoverride command line parameter.